Berits & Brown was established by Sue Berits and Peter Brown in 2004. Sue and Peter, along with their partners Henk and Tracy, identified a lack in the local supply of interesting and tasty foods. They located a run-down property in a neighbouring village, and decided to embark upon addressing the problem. Having both come from a corporate background, Sue was a senior manager with DHL and Peter was a specialist in the outplacement industry, they had had enough of corporate life and decided upon a complete change of lifestyle. Armed with very little knowledge, but heaps of enthusiasm, Sue and Peter set about creating Berits & Brown.
The delicatessen was established to bring high quality, fresh and honest produce from all over the World to local communities. Sue and Peter value quality and flavour above everything and have personally selected a range of exciting foods and wines for sale.
The company operates from a shop located in Kippen - in rural Stirlingshire, Scotland - with a staffing level of 3. The core business is centred on Kippen although custom is mainly from a 10 mile radius of the shop.
Berits & Brown offers a specialist food, fine wine and first class coffee shop experience to the discerning consumer in a local setting. It also runs a wine club and provides for the delivery of high quality hampers and fine food and wine packs.
Sue and Peter have also established good relationships with specialist suppliers and have set up collaborations with local businesses.These factors have combined to give Berits & Brown a competitive advantage over the vast majority of businesses operating in the food and wine industry. The concept has proven so successful that both Sue and Peter feel passionately that others can benefit from their experience of creating a sought-after venue in a rural location and have decided to offer the opportunity to Franchisees throughout the UK.
Competition in the food and wine industry is intense. However, Berits & Brown are in a small sector where a delicatessen, wine shop and coffee shop are all co-located in an attractive setting. We have gone further and defined a niche within this sector whereby, we ensure that the produce is of excellent quality and only sourced from independent suppliers who do not supply larger outlets or supermarkets… Further, we have developed the shop into a place that is cosy, informal and inviting.
We have developed the concept of providing a place where local people and visitors can sit together and have a home made bowl of soup and a sandwich along with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine whilst chatting or browsing a newspaper, magazine or cookery book...
We are looking for a special type of person. Someone who is looking for a business that will allow them to share their passion for good food and wine with their customers, someone who is self-motivated and enthusiastic, and with the ability to provide first class customer service. Of course they will have empathy and enjoy mixing with all kinds of people, but they will also have the ambition to succeed in their own ethical business.
- Full Business Start Up Support Provided: We provide assistance with the design and shop fitting of your Berits & Brown premises. This includes premises specification, equipment list and initial stock requirements. Our specialist retail property services partner will find a suitable shop premises, and we will assist you in gaining all the licences and approvals required and set up your initial suppliers and EPOS system. Extensive marketing activity before you open can ensure that you’ll have customers straight away. We’ll also train you how to use our entire business system on the franchisee training course.
- Spend Your Day Doing Something You Love In An Area You Choose: You’ll spend your time sharing your passion for good food and wine with discerning customers who value what you offer. You’ll have the opportunity to attend trade fairs to source new products and suppliers, and mix with like minded people. You’ll soon become an invaluable member of the community.
- A Unique Franchise Proposition: You’ll have a REAL say in how your business develops locally – all with our support of course.
- You Can Earn A Good Income: Each Berits & Brown shop has the benefit of three revenue streams – deli, wine and coffee shop and there are real opportunities for cross and up-selling. And don’t forget, this is in the context of a huge and growing market. There is also the opportunity to open further shops if appropriate.
- Customers Desire What We Offer: The experience we provide is in high demand – there is competition in the food and wine industry, but our offering of delicatessen, fine wine and first class coffee shop in a single location is truly unique.
- You’re Never Alone: You get a support structure that ensures you’ll always have someone to turn to – Berits & Brown and the Franchise Group will support you every step of the way…You have to be successful otherwise we aren’t!
- Quick Return On Investment: Your franchise fee can be earned back in less than 12 months.