We're the place for innovative, delicious and fun treats in your neighborhood!
For over 62 years, we've been delighting customers with our irresistible flavors and treats. We still follow the same credos and innovative thinking as our founders, Burton Baskin and Irvine Robbins. With more than 5,800 retail shops in 40 countries, we’re now the world's largest chain of ice cream specialty shops.
“We sell fun, not just ice cream.”
– Irv Robbins, co-founder.
Nearly three-quarters of a century ago, two brothers-in-law shared a dream to create an innovative ice cream store that would be a neighborhood gathering place for families. Burton "Burt" Baskin and Irvine "Irv" Robbins had a mutual love of old-fashioned ice cream and the desire to provide customers a variety of flavors made with ingredients of the highest quality in a fun, inviting atmosphere.
As a teen, Irv worked in his father’s ice cream store. During World War II, Burt was a Lieutenant in the U.S. Navy and produced ice cream for his fellow troops. When the war was over, the two entrepreneurs were eager to capitalize on America’s love of ice cream.
They started out in separate ventures at the advice of Irv’s father. In 1945, Irv opened Snowbird Ice Cream in Glendale, California. His store featured 21 flavors and emphasized high-quality ice cream sold in a fun, personalized atmosphere. A year later, Burt opened Burton’s Ice Cream Shop in Pasadena, CA. By 1948, they had six stores between them. This concept eventually grew into Baskin-Robbins.
Baskin-Robbins® has over 3,000 store locations in over 40 countries outside the US. You might be surprised where in the world you’ll find us. In Japan alone, we have over 850 locations, which is the highest number of locations outside the US! Following Japan is Korea, the Middle East and Latin America. We’re one of the world’s most recognizable brands of ice cream treats and the world’s largest ice cream specialty chain!
In addition to these criteria, all prospective franchisees must meet Baskin-Robbins minimum financial requirements, usually a net worth of $300,000 and liquid assets of $100,000 for a new unit and the requirement could be higher or lower for existing units.
Here’s what potential franchise owners can expect during the selection and preparation process
• Submit an Application for review
• A Franchising Specialist will contact you to conduct a initial interview
• A Uniform Franchising Offering Circular (UFOC) is sent along with consent and release forms. Once we receive the receipt page back from the UFOC and the consent and release forms along with the other items below we conduct our due diligence
• Credit check
• Criminal background check
• Proof of citizenship or Permanent Resident/Alien Registration card
• Proof of assets
• Review of Uniform Franchise Offering Circular (UFOC)
• Dunkin' Brands treasury department review
• First interview with franchise manager
• Due diligence: discussions with existing franchisees
• Desired areas of interest discussed
• Generate market plan
• Enhanced background check
• Present market plan to franchise manager
• Franchisee approval
• Sign Store Development Agreement (SDA)
• Locate & Secure Site
• Approve site
• Secure financing Phase 5
• Finalize lease
• Begin franchisee training
• Sign franchise agreement
• Begin construction
• Begin crew hiring/training
• Open store
Qualification of investor
Baskin-Robbins franchisees have the following traits:
• The desire—and resources—to be selected to be a franchisee
• Readiness to build your business vs. merely working in your store
• The drive to maintain operations excellence
• Ability to create and manage a team that effectively recruits, trains, retains, and motivates people
• A strong desire to build incremental income through constructing and operating your franchise
• Passion and leadership skills for delivering a superlative customer experience while maintaining a dedication to Baskin-Robbins' core values of Honesty, Transparency, Humility, Integrity, Respect, Fairness, and Responsibility
• An understanding of the local "culture" including a commitment to being part of the community and not just a business
• A love of making people smile while having fun in the process
Training & Support
Baskin-Robbins franchisees benefit from a well-established support system
Our franchise program is incredibly well thought out, designed to bring about success for our franchisees and to demonstrate how much they are valued. Baskin-Robbins franchise support tools include:
• Training programs for you and your crew
• Site selection assistance
• Design & Construction support
• Marketing support
• Technology support
Baskin-Robbins franchisees are supported by the power of our vibrant senior leadership-from our visionary CEO, Jon Luther, to the award-winning culinary team who dreams up new fare for customers to enjoy. The dedication of our leaders keeps the stores and the company moving forward on Grand Opening day and every day.